(a bucket list recipe)
Ingredients: Whole beetroot with leaves (from the garden preferably), soft feta, chilli (optional)
- Remove leaves from beetroot and wash thoroughly.
(To do this, I generally fill the sink with water and toss the leaves in. At this stage, I will also remove the leaves from the stems.)
- Place the leaves in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Use a knife or fingers to chop or break up the leaves into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- After removing the rooty bits, peel the beet. Cut up into small pieces.
- Pour some olive oil in a pan.
- Let it heat up and toss in the beet.
- Add a pinch of salt and sauté till soft (no need for lots of salt as the feta is salty or forget the salt)
(Beet softening time will depend on how small you cut the beet up – best test really is your tastebuds)
- Add the leaves and cook until just wilted.
- Spoon out into a bowl.
- Let it cool a little.
- Mix in the feta (use as much or as little as you like depending on how salty the feta is)
- Grind in some black pepper. Add in some chopped chilli if you like.
- Drizzle over some good quality extra virgin oil.
(If you haven’t got one of those fancy oil pourers with the spout, get one. You won’t regret it and you will use it all the time, just like the chefs do!)
- Plate and serve.